Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My American Constitution


We get back from on the train from Marrakech and I’m starving.  A group of us had spoken about grabbing some street grub on the way back to our homestays.  I go with him and 5 others to his sandwich guy on Mo5.  He’s not my sandwich guy for a reason.  He fries me up some meat with onions in it then tosses in a couple eggs.  I eat that as fast as possible and go home and have a huge dinner with the fam.  I don’t sleep very well and it feels like I’m having hot flashes although I don’t really know what it was.  Also some weird dreams where everyone looks like they did in high school.  When I wake up my stomach is miserable, I have a raging headache, and the part of my lower back where kidneys are found is throbbing.  Well this sucks. 

I go to Arabic at 8:30 getting no more than 4 hours of sleep feeling like what Mick Jagger had to have felt when he decided to get that blood transfusion in Canada. I make it through half of Arabic and I tell my teacher I have to go home.  I get back, and while waiting for mama haja to open the door, scare the hell out of my host brother who is returning home because the entrance way is something out of a Jack the Ripper movie.  Upstairs I go where I wrap myself up in a fat blanket, drink some crazy spice-juice concoction mama haja makes for me, and pass out for 7 hours.  I wake up intermittently to run to the bathroom after which I feel a pang of guilt/gastrointestinal problems and say sorry to the toilet. 

For the next few days I’m on a strict diet of vegetables and rice made with a little milk, cream cheese, and salt.  Last night my host sister told me, “For the next few days, you should only eat things that are white,” about which I screamed inside, “There is no white food here!”  I’m permitted yogurt and unsweetened mint tea, although today I snuck in potatoes, beans, and chicken at lunch.

This trip has been rough on my butt. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment