Wednesday, January 18, 2012

First Post


This is my first blog post, even though I drunkenly opened a tumblr account in August.  I write this just after midnight during one of the coldest stretches of the Alaskan winter.  The upside: its 5 degrees outside and 20 degrees warmer than this weekend.  The downside: the windchill makes it feel colder than it was this weekend.  We're currently gaining four and a half minutes of sunlight a day (!) but the sun doesn't rise until 10:30 and it still sets before 17:00.  The long and short of it is that its *$&@$@# cold and *#$#$% dark. 

The reason I started this blog is mainly for my friends and family to keep up with my travels while I go abroad this spring to Morocco and then hang out for an extra month in the Netherlands.  I plan on mostly updating through pictures and the inevitable fail stories that you always get when traveling.  I'll also have a Picasa Web Album from my excursions when everything gets up and running.  As much as it pains me to say, I want this to be a politics-free zone, so anyone who may be personally offended by my radical political views won't be infected with lessons on post-modern political and sociological theory.  Leave that to the other blogspot douchebags.  

So stay tuned, I guess, as my just-large-enough-to-fit-in-an-overhead-compartment backpack and I travel halfway across the globe to a country where I don't speak the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment